Svay Rieng: The Cambodian Prime Minister called on the United Nations to use its resources to help areas in the world facing a crisis, rather than wasting it for missions to Cambodia.
“Samdech Akak Moha Senapadei Dekchor Hun Sen said during an inauguration ceremony of the Hun Sen Svay Rumpear Secondary School at Kilometer 13 in Svay Teab district, which cost US$440,000, initiated by General Sao Sokha, the National Military Police Commander in Chief, that Cambodia is a UN member which is obliged to pay an annual contribution to the UN, thus we have the duty to appeal to the world body to save its money to spend it on countries in crisis.
“Mr. Yash Ghai, a Kenyan citizen, a Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Human Rights in Cambodia, got a new verbal attack from Samdech Dekchor Hun Sen, who had suggested the UN send Mr. Yash Ghai to work in Kenya, which is in a critical political crisis.
“Samdech Prime Minister told the participants that he spent his time to follow the events in Kenya very closely. According to Samdech, the violence in Kenya is frightening. 81 people were killed on 27 January, in a conflict among tribal groups, and the government forces had shot innocent people. Samdech also stated that a newspaper had a cartoon of a UN staff going to enjoy hunting animals, while violence and killing occurs in Kenya.
“Samdech Dekchor Hun Sen added that apart from the time of the Pol Pot regime, Cambodia will not fall into violence like Kenya, and the UN should select people who are better than Mr. Yash Ghai to work with Cambodia. They should not hire a weaker person to work with Cambodia.
“The regions facing crisis and killings are Kenya, Sudan, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan, and some other areas that Samdech Dekchor stated the UN should allocate all resources to those victimized regions, rather than wasting them in Cambodia.
“Early this month, when getting attacked from Samdech Dekchor Hun Sen [that he gets his salary for writing bad reports about Cambodia], Mr. Yash Ghai, who had called Cambodia as country without law, stated that he dose not get a salary from the UN for his missions to Cambodia.
“Samdech Prime Minister said that flying in first class planes and staying in five-star hotels costs much more than a salary, and he should be aware that these expenses are paid by the UN, to which Cambodia, as a member, has paid a part to this top world body.” Kampuchea Thmey, Vol.7, #1557, 29.1.2008
Newspapers Appearing on the Newsstand:
Tuesday, 29 January 2008
Chuoy Khmer, Vol.2, #34, 29.1.2008
- To Close the Entrance from Thailand to Preah Vihear Temple Is the Khmer [Cambodian] Government’s Right [reacts government's spokesperson Khieu Kanharith against Thai authorities that oppose putting Preah Vihear Temple as a world heritage site]
- Civil Society Organizations Pray, Demanding Justice for the Not Really Murderers Born Samnang and Sok Sam Oeun [accused of killing Chea Vichea in 2004, leader of the Free Trade Union of Workers of the Kingdom of Cambodia]
Deum Tnot, Vol.1, #7, 28-29.1.2008
- US Ambassador [Joseph A. Mussomeli]: All Aid Is with Conditions
Kampuchea Thmey, Vol.7, #1557, 29.1.2008
- Samdech Dekchor Calls for the United Nations to Collect Money to Save Victimized Regions
- Keang Vang [Sam Rainsy Party parliamentarian from Kampot who has just been expelled]: Getting out of Sam Rainsy Party Is Like a Rabbit Getting Free from a Cage
- Burma Arrests 96 Opposition Members
Khmer Amatak, Vol.9, #552, 28.1.2008
- Deforestation and Transportation of Wood Still Persist in Kompong Cham, Kratie, and Stung Treng
Khmer Machas Srok, Vol.2, #100, 29.1.2008
- After 2008 Elections, a Sam Rainsy Party Government Would Increase Salaries for Workers to $50-$60
- Civil Society Officials Affirm that Court Has No Evidence to Accuse Born Samnang and Sok Sam Oeun
- Cambodian People’s Party Weakness Is that It Does Not Resolve Immigration Issue
Koh Santepheap, Vol.41, #6257, 29.1.2008
- Samdech Dekchor Asks UN to Use Funds to Help Victimized Areas Rather Than to Waste Them in Cambodia [on trips of Yash Ghai, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Human Rights in Cambodia]
- Achievement of Criminal Heng Pov [former Phnom Penh Municipal Police Commissioner, now in jail]: Chak Angrae Kraom Electricité du Cambodge Chief [Kim Pov Daravuth] Got [shot and] Disabled for Life for Cutting off [unpaid] Electricity [Phnom Penh]
- Mr. Sou Phirin [Siem Reap Governor] Appointed as Advisor to Samdech Dekchor Hun Sen
Meatophum, Vol.52, #675, 28-31.1.2008
- Mr. Keang Vang Returns to Funcinpec [from Sam Rainsy Party]
Rasmei Kampuchea, Vol.16, #4401, 29.1.2008
- Samdech Dekchor: “Human Resources Development Is Still Priority in Policy of the Cambodian People’s Party”
- Cambodia Shares Condolences at the Occasion of the Death of Former Indonesian President Suharto
- Chinese Minster of Foreign Affairs [Yang Jiechi] Will Visit Cambodia in Late January
- Telecom Malaysia Will Invest $100 Million in Cambodia
Samleng Yuvachun Khmer, Vol.15, #3239, 29.1.2008
- President of the Norodom Ranariddh Party [Prince Ranariddh] Participated by Submitting a Statement Representing a Cambodian Political Party, [at the Centrist Democrat International Asia Pacific Forum on 25-27 January 2008] in Indonesia
- Keang Vang [expelled from the Sam Rainsy Party] Declares He Will Ask Back the Money of Tens of Thousands of Dollars Which Eng Chhay Ieng [secretary-general of Sam Rainsy Party] Had Borrowed from Him to Gamble
- Samdech Krom Preah Says Khmers Must Join Together and Beware so that Cambodia Will Not Become Champa Again, and Like Kampuchea Krom [which was taken by Vietnam] – so It Has to Change Leaders